Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Weekend of 8/17

Friday- Indonesia's Independence Day. Chrys and I went to the stables so she could ride her horses. I took some pictures of the animals they had there, a monkey, horses, and some peacocks. I was a little bored, but i got to walk around the complex a bit, and they had ice cream, which was cool. Coming back, we had to walk through the Depok train station, and there were little shops selling t-shirts and shoes and different junk. That night we just stayed in and watched movies.


Saturday, the day of the luncheon. All the teachers went to the American Grille (Sizzler's) in Pondok Indah Mall. I got a steak, but it wasn't that great. The luncheon was for Meta and Sheley, who are leaving in the next 2 weeks. Later that night, Meg, David, Chrys an I went out to Kemang. We had dinner at some little cafe, that went to the club Nu China. I had a very strong White Russian. We made them turn down the air conditioners because they were very cold and blowing right on us. After a night on the town, we came back and played Risk for a few hours before going to bed.


Sunday, I went to the pool. Indonesian women wear extremely modest swimsuits, covering their arms and legs. They look almost like very thin wet suits. Uhm, that's about all i can recall for Sunday, I don't really remember doing anything really exciting that night. I think I watched some Simpsons, Meg got season 5 on DVD at Poins Square.


Monday, long day. I started out at G-Labs, the Global Islamic School. I teach there every 2 weeks for 45 minutes. I don't see how this can possibly have an impact on 6 disinterested 3rd graders, but oh well. We got there a little late because of macet. “Indonesia banyak macet,” said my ojek driver. Yes, there are a LOT of traffic jams, probably because the roads are poorly designed, there are no traffic signs, and absolutely no one follows any sort of traffic laws. Margonda Raya is a road with 2 lanes going in each direction. I've seen up to 4 lanes of traffic on it at one point, and still, motorcycles drive up o the sidewalk to get around. The worst is when your angkot (small city bus) goes on the sidewalk or the curb to get around. Another strange thing about Margonda is that there is no double yellow line, there's just jersey barriers. So it's very hard to get where you're going. And god help you if you pass by your destination. You have to keep going about a kilometer up the road to find a break, then turn around, go back up, find another break, and come back again. In fact, coming from the south, if you want to turn into EF, you have to actually drive over the border of Jakarta, turn around, and come back into Depok.


Well, that's about it for now. Keep reading, and I'l keep you updated. Bye!

No comments: