Tuesday, June 5, 2007

6/1

6/1

Whew, what a weekend, I am exhausted. Friday was a national holiday, Buddha's day of enlightenment. I spent a good portion of the day at Margo City, the nice mall in Depok. I had lunch at Popeye's in Detos ascross the street, but they used the wrong oil, so my fried chicken tasted like fish, ick. Anyways, so I was in Margo, and I was browsing the book section, and there was a book on English Idioms, and I could not stop laughing at how poor the translations were. I got some comic books and a travel dictionary, and hung out in Starbuck's for a while.

I'm starting to pick up on the nuances of the language. Just about any noun can be turned into a verb, you just have to know the root word. Like, I didn't know what menyewaku meant, and it wasn't in the dictionary. I found the root word, sewa, which means "rent", you add "meny" and drop the "s", and you get menyewa, to rent. The -ku at the end is short for aku, I or me. So menyewaku means I rent.

So, then as I was walking to get an angkot home, it started pissing rain. In about 3 minutes, the streets were flooding, it was madness. But it stopped by the time I got to my stop, so that was good. What was not good is that it was still cloudy out, nearly 6pm (sun sets at 6 every day) and I had forgotten to take my bloody keys with me. Everyone was out for the day. Luckily Jeremy arrived after about 20 minutes and let me in. The rest of the evening it rained, but let up for a while so I could go to the Indomaret (like a 7-11) and get some supplies for the camping trip...

No comments: