Friday, May 4, 2007

5/1

5/1

Yesterday was my first class with the High Fliers. Young kids, mostly brats. I didn't do too bad, but Meta came in & helped out.
Also, worth mentioning is that I walked to work. I took my GPS & it's about 1.75 miles. By Ojek, it's about Rp. 10,000 & by Angkot it's Rp. 1,500. (It's about Rp. 9,000 to the dollar) Ojeks are hired motorcycles and Angkots are little blue minivans with a bench in the back. So either way, it's really cheap & quick to get to and from work.
Today I took a walk to Mall Depok, about 15 min. away. They don't open till 9:30, so I walked the other way. I was looking for a bank to change my money and was coming up short. I had $170 and no rupiah. I did find a bank that would do it, and got a pretty good exch. rate (9,100 Rp. / dollar). They only took the 20'a tho. Also, I have a wad of traveler's checks, but I didn't ask about them.
The company van picked me up today. They had picked up Kristina from the hospital. She had her appendix removed. She also can NOT stop complaining.

--Note to self: Get some more button-down shirts. Polo's are a no-no, except on casual Friday.

Today I sat in on David's Trailblazers class. *yawn* Also Sheley's General English class. She can motivate them. Everyone was laughing and having a good time. They asked a bunch of questions about me, it was fun.
After classes, Felix, David, and I went to Cafe' Zoe. I had a really good Nasi Goreng pedas. After dinner we got a shisha, which is this 2-foot tall water bong with flavored tobacco. Rp. 30,000 split 3 ways means we hit that pipe for nearly an hour for about a buck a piece. We took an angkot home, and that's where I am now. It's about 11 p.m., so I'm gonna watch some tv and hit the hay. I'm teaching the High Flyers again tomorrow!

--nite

1 comment:

stuck on cape said...

Hiya Littleneck,

Sounds like you've been having quite a bit of excitement. We're hashing next week, can you come back to be the song meister? Suppose that's not likely to happen. Interesting reading about what's going on with you, I give you a lot of credit for heading off and teaching-we're all impressed. Stay safe