Saturday, May 5, 2007

5/5

5/5

Last night I had my High Flyers class, mostly screwed around & played games. Did a few minutes of origami at the end, but none of us could figure out the instructions. Then I had the General English class, all young adults, mostly around my age. I like that class, too bad it ends next week. They were all really interested in me & asked a lot of questions. We talked about taboos in American & Indonesian culture. Talked about sports, food, & cost of living in America vs. Indonesia. It really is interesting to note that the U.S. is really a melting pot of cultures. I can't walk down the street without several people calling out "Hallo Meester" or "bule!", which is a slightly derisive term used to describe a foreigner. But an Indonesian wouldn't get a 2nd glance in the States.
After work, I had some nasi goreng at the Bubur Ayam warung next door, a slightly shady looking place, but really cheap & quite tasty. The one bad thing is the place attracts cats. I think I may have mentioned this before, but I want to re-state that the cats here are quite disgusting. They make awful screeching noises like a dying animal, they are always filthy, and several of them walk around with open sores. It's really hard to enjoy your bubur ayam (porridge with chicken) when a cat with oozing red sores is rubbing up against your leg.
So today, Felix, Sheley and I are going to Citos (pronounced Chee-tohs) Mall, somewhere on the way to Pondok Indah. They have wireless internet. You have to pay for it, but it is supposed to be pretty decent.
Oh, one last thing, I watched some tv this morning. I was really excited when Spongebob came on, but was fairly disappointed that it had been dubbed into Indo, and not subtitled. It was an episode that I had seen before, so it was pretty easy to follow. The voice actors did a good job sounding like the original characters. I changed the channel for a bit, and came across a chow where 2 teams were scrambling around in a kitchen. It took a second, but then I recognized the format - Iron Chef! Yes, Indonesia has its own official version of Iron Chef on channel Indosiar. It was great fun. At the judging they show all the ingredients & measurements for each dish, presumably so you can make it at home. The judges seemed unimpressed with the Iron Chef's dishes, but she still won. (By the way, the theme ingredient was tomato)

No comments: